Welcome to Riverdale CSA! Established in 1996, we are the oldest CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) group in the Bronx – 24 years! Our partnership with Hawthorne Valley Farm in Columbia County connects Riverdale households directly with an amazing farm that grows high-quality, delicious organic and biodynamic produce. Each household that joins our CSA purchases a share of this season’s harvest from the farm, with over 40 varieties of vegetables and herbs. Fruit shares from other partner local farms are also available for purchase. Click on the 2020 CSA Sign Up tab above to get information about the 2020 CSA.
It’s hard to believe that the weekly delivery of abundant, beautiful produce from Hawthorne Valley Farm and our other farm partners will be ending on November 3rd. And…the first delivery of winter CSA shares will be on Saturday, November 19th! There’s still time to sign up for monthly delivery of fresh shares from Windflower Farm, frozen shares from Farm Bridge (formerly known as Winter Sun) and the wide range of local products, including grains, dairy, eggs, meats, and more, available through Lewis Waite Farm. Details are here.
Also, come together with other CSA members to celebrate this year’s wonderful harvest at our end-of-season potluck on Sunday, November 6, 2016 from 5:30-7:30 pm! Upstairs in the main building of Riverdale Neighborhood House, 5521 Mosholu Ave., Bronx, NY. Bring a dish or beverage to share. Check our Facebook page for updates.
The growing season CSA has begun with an abundant and varied mix of vegetables and, for those with a fruit share, strawberries bursting with flavor!
Be sure to say hello to the CSA’s new Site Manager, Yesenia Lopez, when you pick up your produce. And don’t forget to sign up for some volunteer shifts while you’re there. Remember–all members must help out at the site for approximately five hours each season. Yesenia can help you sign up while you’re picking up or will remind you about how to sign up on-line.
If you’re not yet a member and are interested in joining, it may still be possible to squeeze in. Visit www.hawthornevalleystore.org/csa-sharesto view our different options and reserve your share!
Finally, if you just can’t get enough of those organic strawberries, you can pick your own at Thompson Finch Farm until around July 4th. From there, it’s only a short drive to Hawthorne Valley Farm. Be sure to contact Farmer Lucy at email@example.com in advance to let her know you’re thinking of visiting.
Our first CSA pick-up will be June 9th! There are still a few shares available. Please talk to your neighbors and friends and encourage them to sign up. Farmer Lucy has sent us an update below.
Welcome to Riverdale CSA! Established in 1996, we are the oldest CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) group in the Bronx – 21 years! Our partnership with Hawthorne Valley Farm in Columbia County connects Riverdale households directly with an amazing farm that grows high-quality, delicious organic and biodynamic produce. Each household that joins our CSA purchases a share of this season’s harvest from the farm, with over 40 varieties of vegetables and herbs. Fruit shares from other partner local farms are also available for purchase.
We still have a few Summer 2016 vegetable and fruit shares available! Our farmers at Hawthorne Valley Farm will be growing lots of delicious food this season and, by joining now, you can share in this year’s harvest.
When you join the Riverdale CSA:
- You receive 22 weeks of fresh, local vegetables and fruits.
- All produce is grown using biodynamic, organic, or ecological methods.
- Pick-ups are on Thursdays between 3:30 and 7 pm at Riverdale Neighborhood House, 5521 Mosholu Avenue, Bronx, NY 10471.
- The Riverdale CSA depends on its members for the site to run well, so all shareholders are required to volunteer approximately five hours per season at the distribution site on pick-up days. To learn more, go to the Volunteer Tab on this website.
- You’ll support environmentally responsible farming and have opportunities to get to know your neighbors, your farmer, and the farms where your food is grown.
- You can sign up through this website. Hawthorne Valley Farm accepts SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program) for CSA payment.
- You can also sign up to pre-order items such as grass-fed meat and dairy, pastured eggs, honey, baked goods, beans, grains and lacto-fermented products.
To join, visit http://hawthornevalleystore.org/csa-shares/